How Are My Benefits Figured?

During your claim benefit year, you are entitled to a weekly benefit amount for weeks you are totally or partially unemployed providing that you meet all requirements and a balance remains on your claim. The amount you can receive is figured on wages paid during your base period. Your base period is the 12­month period consisting of the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters before the beginning date of your claim.

To establish a claim, you must have wages of at least $1,000 in one quarter of your base period. You must have wages in two quarters of the base period and the total amount of your wages must be at least one and one­half times your highest quarter wages. If you do not meet this requirement, you may still qualify if you have wages in at least two quarters of your base period and the total of the wages is at least $10,500 for a claim filed after 2001.

If you qualify, your weekly benefit amount will be 4% of your highest quarter wages. For claims filed in 2001 or later, this amount cannot be more than $250.00.

The most you can receive during your benefit year is your maximum benefit amount. The amount is 26 times your weekly benefit amount or one­third of your base period wages, whichever is less. When figuring the maximum benefit amount, the base period wages are limited to $6,500 per quarter.

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles