You may file an initial claim for unemployment insurance benefits using one of four methods:
- Online CLICK HERE
- By visiting the nearest Workforce Development Center and participating in an initialclaim group session;
- By calling the Unemployment Insurance Service Center at (877) 8915344 (tollfree outside the Des Moines area) or 2814199 (in the Des Moines calling area), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Central Standard Time.; or
- Through your most recent employer.
When you file your initial claim, you’ll need to have the following information handy:
- Your Social Security number;
- The name, address and telephone number of your most recent employer, and the beginning and ending dates you worked for that employer;
- An Alien Registration number, if you are not a U.S. citizen;
- A DD214 (Member 4), if you served in the U.S. military during the last 18 months;
- An SF8 form, if you worked for the federal government in the last 18 months;
- The name(s) of anyone you will be claiming as a dependent, up to a maximum of four; and
- The amount your spouse earned in the preceding week, if you want to claim your spouse as a dependent (must be $120 or less to be claimed).
Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today
This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.
Your Next Step:
Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.
Popular Attorney Searches: