Employment Law -- Employee
Are There Restrictions On The Hours That A Minor May Work?
Minors 14 and 15 years of age may work:
- Between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (except each year from June 1 through the day before Labor Day a minor may work between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.)
- No more than 6 consecutive days
- No more than 40 hours a week
- No more than 8 hours a day (do not count rest and meal periods)
- No more than 5 hours continuously without at least a 30 minute rest or meal period
- No more than 10 hours a day of combined work and school hours when the minor is required to attend school
For 16 and 17 year olds, there are no restrictions except when the minor is required to be in school.
There are some special requirements for theatrical employment.