Employment Law -- Employee

Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?

A work permit applies to minors ages 14 or 15 years old for most jobs in Iowa. Youth ages 10 through 15 must have work permits to deliver newspapers or shoppers, or perform any other street occupation such as selling items door­to­door. Those ages 12 through 16 years old working migrant labor must also get a work permit.

The youth must first have the employer complete the Employer Agreement For Minors Aged 14 & 15 stating the type of work to be done, and the hours to be worked. After completed, the parent/guardian signs this form and the youth must then provide in person to the Workforce Development Center the completed Employer Agreement Form, and acceptable evidence of age.

Employers may require a Certificate of Age for youth ages 16 and older. They can obtain one by appearing in person at the Workforce Development Center with acceptable evidence of age.

For more information on the Iowa Child Labor Law, contact the Iowa Division of Labor at (515) 281­8493.