How Do I File An Initial Claim For Unemployment Benefits?

You should always file as soon as possible after you become unemployed. When you file the claim, be sure to have available your Social Security number and the complete name and address of each employer that you worked for in the past 18 months.

You may file your new unemployment claim, or reopen an existing claim, via the Internet if you meet all the following requirements:

  • You are a New Jersey resident;
  • All of your employment in the past 18 months was in New Jersey;
  • You did not work for the Federal Government in the past 18 months;
  • You were not in the military service in the past 18 months.

If you meet these requirements, and you wish to file your unemployment claim via the Internet, visit the website

If you do not wish to file your claim via the Internet, you may file by telephoning your Reemployment Call Center.

Cumberland(Serves South Jersey)(856) 507­2340

Union City (Serves Northeast New Jersey) (201) 601­4100
Freehold (Serves Northwest and Central New Jersey) (732) 761­2020

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources


The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.