Skip to main content

Insurance Law

Search for an Attorney  

What Is The Personal Lines Broker-Agent License?

Beginning on January 1, 2002, the Department of Insurance will begin issuing a Personal Lines Broker­Agent license. This license will allow a licensee to transact the following:

  • automobile insurance (including recreational vehicles used for noncommercial purposes),
  • personal watercraft insurance,
  • residential property insurance (including earthquake and flood insurance),
  • inland marine insurance covering personal property, and
  • umbrella or excess liability insurance.

To become a personal lines broker­agent, the applicant will be required to complete a 20­hour pre licensing classroom course approved by the CDI and an approved 12­hour prelicensing classroom course on the California Insurance Code and ethics. The applicant will also be required to pass a written examination, unless the applicant qualifies for a Personal Lines Broker­ Agent exemption. Anyone who meets the requirements to be exempt from the examination will still be required to complete the 20­hour prelicensing course and the12­hour prelicensing code and ethics course.

Personal lines broker­ agent continuing education will be required on a calendar year basis. The agent will be required to complete 10 hours of continuing education each calendar year. The personal lines license will be issued for a two­ year fixed term that begins on January 1 of the first year and ends on December 31 of the second year.