Child Support Law

What Happens To Child Support Payments If The Custodial Parent Is On Public Assistance?

The noncustodial parent must continue to pay child support while the other parent and the children receive public assistance. However, parents on public assistance, such as Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP), must agree to let the state keep any child support payments owed for that time as well as any payments owed to the custodial parent when benefits begin. This is to help at least partially repay the state for the cost of public assistance benefits.

Was this helpful?
Search for an Attorney