Skip to main content

Lemon Law

Search for an Attorney  

I Have A Lemon. What Should I Do?

  1. Gather all your documents, records, and repair reports and organize them. Evaluate how your vehicle qualifies as a lemon based on your records.
  2. Write to the manufacturer requesting the repurchase or replacement of your vehicle. To locate the manufacturer`s address look in your owner`s manual, ask the dealership, or contact the Lemon Law Administration.

    The written request to the manufacturer should include:

    • Make, Model, Year, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN);
    • An explanation of the problem(s);
    • Name(s) of dealership(s) where diagnosis/repair attempts have been made, including dates of attempts;
    • You must request replacement or repurchase of the motor vehicle.

    You should send the letter to the manufacturer by certified mail with a return receipt requested. This will verify the date that the manufacturer received your letter. KEEP A COPY OF YOUR LETTER AND YOUR RETURN RECEIPT IN YOUR RECORDS.

  3. The manufacturer should be allowed 40 days to respond in most instances (see Note below). If the manufacturer does not respond or if the response is unsatisfactory, you can submit the Request For Arbitration form to the Lemon Law Administration in the Attorney General`s Office.

    Note: A Request For Arbitration Form must be received by the Lemon Law Administration within 30 months of the vehicles` original retail delivery date whether or not the 40 day response period has expired.

  4. Call 800­541­8898 or 800­276­9883 for the hearing impaired to get a Request for Arbitration form.
Was this helpful?