Skip to main content

Family Law

Search for an Attorney  

Can Dcse Put Non-Custodial Parents In Jail If They Don't Pay?

No. DCSE representatives may petition the court and DCSE attorneys may request the respondent be given jail time, but it is a judge`s decision whether to order a jail sentence. A non­custodial parent who is found to be in civil contempt for failure to pay child support can be sentenced to up to 12 months incarceration. Incarceration is usually a last resort in child support cases, but for some individuals, it is necessary.

Was this helpful?