Skip to main content

Family Law

Search for an Attorney  

What is expected of me?

If you are thinking of applying for public assistance, you may want to contact your local District Attorney first. They may be able to help you get child support, which may mean you can avoid going on public assistance.

If you receive public assistance, you are required to cooperate with the Division of Child Support. However, if you can show that to do so would be harmful to you or your child, you may be exempt from cooperating. Whether you receive public assistance or not, your cooperation with the enforcing agency is very necessary to the success of collecting support or establishing paternity.

Any facts you have about the noncustodial parent are helpful in enforcing support. Although it is not a requirement for application, you should include as many of the following pieces of information as you can on the application to help the caseworker locate the parent and enforce support:


  • The full name and address (or last known location) of the noncustodial parent
  • The parent's Social Security Number (this can be found on things such as pay stubs, old tax forms, health insurance forms, and drivers` licenses issued by some states)
  • The parent's date of birth (or approximate age)
  • The present or last place the parent worked
  • The county and state in which the divorce occurred, if there was one, and a copy of the order, or the county and state where there is any other support order
  • The child(ren)'s birth certificate and Social Security Number
  • Information on any assets such as bank accounts, vehicles, or land the noncustodial parent might have