Can The State Terminate A Parent's Rights Over Their Children?

Yes.  Every state has an agency that protects the interests of children.  That agency may ask the court to terminate parental rights.  Usually, the state must show that the parent is unfit and that severing the relationship is in the best interests of the child.  To be found “unfit” the state usually must show that the child is in danger of suffering from some form of abuse, the parent is unable to care for the child (usually because of mental capacity or drug addiction) or the child has been abandoned by the parent.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified family lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Family Law Resources

Related Topics In This Section