Skip to main content

Family Law

Search for an Attorney  

What If One Parent Does Not Live In South Dakota?

The most difficult cases to enforce are those in which the noncustodial parent lives in one state and the child and custodial parent live in another. If South Dakota does not have jurisdiction over the noncustodial parent, OCSE may request the other state to assist with establishing paternity and/or a support obligation as well as the enforcement of an order for support. OCSE must rely on the responding state`s laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures. State child support agencies must cooperate and help each other in handling requests for assistance. In some cases a backlog of child support cases in the responding state may slow interstate enforcement. The other state may assess fees or may withhold fees from the support collected.