If I am receiving public assistance, are there other things I must do?

If you are the custodial parent who is receiving public assistance, you must assign some or all of your child support to the state. Your county child support office will provide you with information about your specific situation.

If you receive child support directly from the noncustodial parent, you must report it to your county child support office If paternity needs to be established or the noncustodial parent needs to be located, you must cooperate with the child support office by providing correct information If you do not cooperate with the child support office`s action to establish paternity or child support, your public assistance benefits may be reduced unless you claim good cause. If the state makes a mistake and gives you more money than you are supposed to have, you must repay the state for the overpayment.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified family lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles