Skip to main content

Family Law

Search for an Attorney  

How Do Courts Award The Family Residence?

Where minor children are involved, the custodial parent is normally allowed to live in the residence with the children for a specified period of time after the divorce is finalized. During that period of time, the spouse who lives in the home is usually required to make all mortgage, property tax and homeowner insurance payments when due. The house must be sold when: there are no children living at the property, the youngest child attains the age of majority, or at any date agreed upon by the parties or specified by the court.

Was this helpful?