What Can I Do If I Disagree With A Denial Of Benefits?

If you disagree with a determination, you have the right to file an appeal. Your appeal rights are printed on each determination you receive. A determination becomes final unless a written appeal is filed within seven calendar days after delivery or within ten calendar days after the mailing of the determination.

To file an appeal, you may either mail or fax your appeal to the office whose address and fax telephone number are printed on the determination. Your appeal letter must include your name, Social Security number, and address. In addition, give your reasons for disagreeing with the determination and, if you file late, the reason for the delay.

An Appeal Tribunal hearing will be scheduled and all interested parties will be notified. The hearing may be conducted in­person or by telephone. If you wish, an attorney or a non­attorney may represent you at the hearing. You can also include witnesses. A decision will be made on the evidence and sworn testimony presented at the hearing.

While you are waiting for the appeal hearing, continue to claim your weekly unemployment insurance benefits by telephone or by mail. This action gives you credit for these weeks pending the results of the hearing.

If you lose the appeal, you have the right to appeal again to the Board of Review.

Your former employer also has the right to appeal determinations made on your claim that deal with the reason why you are not working and the amount of your benefits. If your employer appeals and wins, you may be required to repay all or part of your unemployment insurance benefits.

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles