Skip to main content

Enforcing Your Divorce Decree

Full Video Transcript

Has your ex fail to abide by a divorce decree? Divorce decrees often require one spouse to pay the other specific amounts of money or require specific division of marital property. If the other spouse fails to do what the court orders, there are certain things you can do. And since all situations are different, you should contact an attorney about what course of action would be best for your situation. That said, some common remedies include garnishing the nonpaying spouse’s wages or getting a lien against his or her property in order to force them to pay you what you are entitled to under the divorce decree. As far as division of assets is concerned, you may be able to petition the court to force your ex to do what’s required in the divorce decree. These are difficult situations, particularly if your credit rating is at stake due to your ex’s failure to hold up his or her end of the deal. For more information about enforcing a divorce decree, contact an attorney in your area today.

Was this helpful?

Additional Divorce Videos

Divorce Sub-categories