Who Can Solemnize A Marriage?

A person authorized to solemnize marriages must be a priest, minister or rabbi of any religious denomination…a judge or retired judge, commissioner of civil marriages or retired commissioner of civil marriages…a judge or magistrate who has resigned from office, or one of miscellaneous other federal and state judges, justices, magistrates, and retired judges, magistrates or justices. The duties imposed upon the person solemnizing the marriage include conducting the ceremony, insuring the correctness of the facts set out in the marriage license, issuance of the marriage certificate, and returning the license, endorsed with the fact of the marriage, to the county recorder of the county in which the marriage ceremony was performed.

Speak to an Experienced Marriage Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified marriage lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Marriage attorney today.

Additional Marriage Articles

Related Topics In This Section