Premises Liability Law
Premises liability law requires property owners and possessors to keep the property in a safe condition and adequately warn visitors about any hazard, such as a weak staircase, slippery floor, or a hole in the ground. Someone harmed on an unsafe premise may be entitled to compensation.
If Your Are Injured
If you are hurt because of a hazard on someone's property, consulting A Castle Rock premises liability lawyer can determine if you have a case. If you do, he or she can form your lawsuit and assess the amount of compensation for medical expenses, loss of wages and other damages. If the hazard and lack of warning were egregious, punitive damages might apply.
Top Questions to Ask When Hiring an Attorney
- How many years have you been practicing law? How long have you practiced law in the local area?
- How many cases similar to mine have you handled in the past?
- What is the likely outcome for my case?
In legal practice, experience matters. An experienced attorney will likely have handled issues similar to yours many, many times. Therefore, after listening to your situation, the attorney should have a reasonable idea of the time line for a case like yours and the likely resolution.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney's experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.