Skip to main content

Enforcing Child Support Against An Out-Of-State Parent

Full Video Transcript

When you’re ex lives out of state, enforcing your child support order can sometimes be tricky. However, every state has passed some version of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, which is a law designed specifically to enforce child support orders against a parent in another state. First, find out the other parent’s address if you don’t know it already. Your local child support enforcement office may be able to help you locate the other parent’s address. You can then ask the courts to enforce your existing child support order, and you may be able to get a wage garnishment order. In addition, failure to pay child support is a crime, which means your local district attorney or prosecutor’s office may be able to file nonsupport charges against the nonpaying parent. For more information about how to enforce your child support order, contact an attorney in your area today

Was this helpful?

Additional Child Support Enforcement Videos