Do You Have a Product Liability Claim?
If you have been harmed by a defective product you may be compensated for your injuries. Product liability law encourages companies to design, build, and market safe products and when a product is not safe consumers may have legal recourse.
Product Liability Recourses Available
A defective product can be almost anything — vehicles, medical devices, toys, dangerous drugs, machines — and the flaw can be in the design or manufacture of the product. If someone suffers a personal injury while using the product, he or she can file a claim against the manufacturer and possibly its suppliers.
If you were injured, you will need to hire a Pikeville attorney specializing in product liability cases. The attorney will develop evidence and witness accounts to build your case and bring in an expert to testify about faults in the product’s design or manufacture to bolster your case.
What does a product liability lawyer do?Much like a personal injury lawyer, a product liability lawyer represents people hurt or made sick by dangerous and defective products. A product liability attorney will negotiate a settlement on your behalf or represent you in court if your case needs to go to trial.
What is a product liability case?Product liability cases cover nearly any injuries or illnesses caused by dangerous or defective consumer products. Some common examples include claims involving home appliances, power tools, swimming pools, children’s toys, car parts, and prescription drugs. Claims are usually made against manufacturers of the products, companies that assemble or install products, or retailers that sell them.
What is a defense against product liability claims?Products are supposed to come with specific warnings about any potential dangers, such as choking hazards on children’s toys. The defense will investigate whether you were using the product in a way that ignored any clearly stated warnings. Manufacturers may also try to argue that they could not have foreseen certain dangers.
How an Attorney Can Help
An attorney can often resolve your particular legal issue faster and better than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. You should seek out an attorney whose practice focuses on the area of law most relevant to your issue.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It’s important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice’s billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.
Common legal terms explained
Affidavit – A sworn written statement made under oath. An affidavit is meant to be a supporting document to the court assisting in the verification of certain facts. An affidavit may or may not require notarization.