Types of Neighbor Disputes
Disputes between neighbors, such as noise levels, misbehaving pets or children, old cars in the front yard, and property lines, are common. Police are sometimes summoned and complaints are made to homeowner associations or to the encroaching neighbor. Even simple disputes can escalate into something serious.
Neighbor Disputes Legal Recourse
When a dispute with a neighbor occurs, diplomacy is the best course of action, but if that fails you should contact A Brooklyn lawyer experienced in resolving neighbor disputes. If no law is broken, the lawyer can draft a letter or other communication to try and correct the situation. If that doesn't work, the lawyer may petition the court for a restraining order or injunction to stop the neighbor's conduct.
Best Time to Seek Legal Help
No matter what your legal issue may be, it is always best to seek legal help early in the process. An attorney can help secure what is likely to be the best possible outcome for your situation and avoid both unnecessary complications or errors.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney's experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.