A Full Service Elder Law Firm
Concentrating on the Human Side of Aging
Katten & Benson is dedicated to helping older adults and their families by providing answers and reassurance. We use a team approach to provide care not only for the client, but the entire family. Our team includes attorneys to assist with legal issues and friendly office staff. Call us today to make an appointment so we can help you find peace of mind.
Our approach is one of inclusion. We want to work with all decision makers, family members, friends, caregivers, and anyone else involved in the care of an older adult or special needs loved one. We work hard at keeping up with the most recent developments in elder and special needs law so that we may present cutting-edge solutions to our clients. All Katten & Benson attorneys are members of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, a national organization of attorneys dedicated to providing the very best in legal services for older and special needs beneficiaries.
Contact us today if you need legal assistance with any of the following:
- Estate Planning
- Medicaid Planning
- VA Benefits
- Disability Planning
- Power of Attorney
We can assist you with many facets of the aging process. We work with individuals who want to set up estate plans. We can help families who have lost a loved one through the probate process. We can help you attain guardianship over a person who can no longer help himself, or apply for Medicaid to help pay for long term care. Please give us a call at 817-263-5190 to see if we can help with your particular issue.
Attorney Steven E. Katten
Steven E. Katten has practiced law in Texas for over forty years. A graduate of Vanderbilt University and the University of Texas School of Law, Steve is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Estate Planning and Probate. Steve is a Past President of the Board of Directors for Guardianship Services, Inc., and has served as the Chairman of the Advisory Counsel for the Tarrant County Agency on Aging.
Steve has been named a Texas Monthly Super Lawyer in the area of Elder Law for 2008-2011 and 2013-2018, a designation awarded to no more than 5% of eligible attorneys. (Super Lawyers is a Thompson Reuters service.) Since opening his own practice, he remains committed to his original vision: helping older adults and their families with all of the planning issues that are important to them. Steve is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Tarrant County Probate Bar Association.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University
- Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Estate Planning and Probate
Attorney Monica A. Benson
Monica A. Benson is a Certified Elder Law Attorney* who has spent her decade-plus career assisting clients with elder law needs. She represents clients in a number of different areas, including drafting estate planning documents such as wills, trusts, and powers of attorney; probate matters for estates of all sizes, whether the decedent died with or without a will; guardianship matters, where she represents guardians, wards, or serves as a court-appointed attorney; and Medicaid planning, helping clients determine, obtain and maintain eligibility. Monica also helps teach the next generations of attorneys as an Adjunct Professor at Texas A&M University School of Law, teaching Elder Law and a practical skills Wills and Estates Clinic.
- Texas, 2005
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law (now Texas A&M University School of Law), Juris Doctor, May 2005
- Texas A&M University, Bachelor of Arts in History, May 2002
- Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation.
Professional Memberships and Achievements:
- Certified Elder Law Attorney, as certified by the National Elder Law Foundation and recognized by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Partner, Katten & Benson
- Adjunct Professor, Texas A&M University School of Law, Elder Law and Wills and Estates Clinic
- Texas Monthly Super Lawyer Rising Star in the field of Elder Law for 2010 and 2014-2019, a designation awarded to no more than 2.5% of eligible attorneys. (Super Lawyers is a Thompson Reuters service.)
- Tarrant County Probate Bar Association, member and
- Past President 2014-15
- President 2013-14
- President-Elect 2012-13
- Treasurer 2011-12
- Board of Directors 2008-11
- Top Attorney in the field of Elder Law by Fort Worth, Texas Magazine from 2010-2018
- Guardianship Services 2010 Ad Litem Attorney of the Year
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Board of Directors, Cliburn 180°, Van Cliburn Foundation, 2016-2018
- Chancellor, Trinity Episcopal Church Foundation, Fort Worth