Are you Involved with Business?
Business law, also referred to as commercial law, refers to the different laws that govern business entities in all types of commerce, including sales, trade and merchandising. Business entities can be any type of business from a sole proprietorship to a partnership or a corporation. Any entrepreneur wanting to start a business in Monmouth Junction will end up knee deep in many types of business law decisions, which will require different sets of skills.
What Business Law Covers
Business owners are faced with countless business law situations, which can range from starting a business and choosing its legal structure to business finances and taxes. These decisions could make or break your financial future and the stability of your business. A business law firm will be able to guide you through these decisions.
The hiring and firing of employees also falls under business law as does forming the right business partnerships. Creating legally binding contracts is crucial to your business being successful. A business law firm can help you with these situations as well.
How do you start a business?If you decide to start a business, you should be ready to do some careful planning. What will your goals be? What are your products? Who are your customers? How will you get the money you need to start? Will you have employees? How will you incorporate? A business and commercial law attorney can help you answer and work through all of these questions.
How do you write a business plan?The U.S. Small Business Administration, along with state and local government agencies, all provide good advice on what to include in a business plan. It should include answers to the above questions and provide any information that you think any potential investors will want to know.
How do you get a business license?Your state government will have information about any permits and licenses you will need for your business. In some lines of business, there will be other federal and local permits you need as well, such as a liquor license. A business and commercial attorney can help you address every detail in getting your business off the ground, helping you avoid any unnecessary errors that can cost you time and money.
Best Time to Seek Legal Help
No matter what your legal issue may be, it is always best to seek legal help early in the process. An attorney can help secure what is likely to be the best possible outcome for your situation and avoid both unnecessary complications or errors.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It’s important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice’s billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.
Common legal terms explained
Affidavit – A sworn written statement made under oath. An affidavit is meant to be a supporting document to the court assisting in the verification of certain facts. An affidavit may or may not require notarization.