Top Vandalism Lawyers Near You
Vandalism is the crime of intentionally damaging or destroying public or private property. Examples of vandalism include graffiti, breaking windows, defacing images or statuary, and slashing tires.
Vandalism is punishable by fines, incarceration, being required to replace or repair the damage, or any combination of the three. Vandalism can be classified as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the value of the property damaged or destroyed.
Why You Should Contact a Vandalism Attorney
If you have been charged with vandalism, you may want to meet with an attorney to ask:
- How vandalism is legally defined
- What the prosecutor must prove to convict you of vandalism
- What defenses are available to you
- Whether the facts of your case support the charge of vandalism
- The possible punishment that could be imposed in your case
- Whether the charges can be dropped if you agree to pay to repair the damages
How a Vandalism Attorney Can Help
Any criminal charge is a serious matter, so you may choose to retain legal representation. A vandalism lawyer can assist you in many ways, including:
- Investigate the factual circumstances of your case to dispute the charge
- Negotiate with the prosecutor to establish bail, reduce or dismiss the charge, make a plea agreement, recommend an appropriate sentence
- Represent you throughout the progress of your case, from arrest to sentencing