Dealing with taxes can be a confusing and alarming experience. While you do not want to over pay on your taxes, it is also important to meet your legal tax obligations. No matter what your tax issue may be, speaking with A Norman tax lawyer will help you understand the current tax laws.
Different Tax Law Cases
Tax law covers a wide range of federal, state, local, and even international tax issues. Some of these areas include tax audits and appeals, employment taxes, tax liens income taxes and even tax litigation. Keep in mind, every state has its own set of tax laws.
Don't forget, owing taxes to the IRS or the state is very serious and overwhelming. The failure to repay taxes will result in substantial penalties and interest.
Top Questions to Ask When Hiring an Attorney
- How many years have you been practicing law? How long have you practiced law in the local area?
- How many cases similar to mine have you handled in the past?
- What is the likely outcome for my case?
In legal practice, experience matters. An experienced attorney will likely have handled issues similar to yours many, many times. Therefore, after listening to your situation, the attorney should have a reasonable idea of the time line for a case like yours and the likely resolution.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney's experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.