Top Sexual Orientation Discrimination Lawyers Near You
Find Sexual Orientation Discrimination Attorneys Located in Popular Cities
Find Sexual Orientation Discrimination Attorneys by State
Sexual Orientation Discrimination
States, federal, and some major cities municipal laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, making it illegal to harass or treat a person differently or unfairly in employment because a person is gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or heterosexual.
In the workplace, examples of discrimination because of sexual orientation include:
- Deciding not to hire someone or to fire someone
- Denying someone the same training accorded other employees
- are htRefusing to promote some
- Downgrading someone’s work performance in an evaluation
- Denying benefits for civil partners or same-sex spouses where benefits are granted to unmarried couples of the same or opposite sex who are not civil partners
Why You Should Contact a Sexual Orientation Discrimination Attorney
Anti-discrimination laws are constantly evolving to include sexual orientation among the list of classes such as race, national origin, religion, and age that are protected from unlawful discrimination. An attorney knowledgeable about employment discrimination law can advise you on the status of laws in your area and answer your questions about the circumstances of your case.
If you believe you have been discriminated because of your sexual orientation, you may have a legal cause of action and be entitled to money damages or other redress. An attorney can explain your rights and the options available to you for bringing suit or taking other action to remedy your situation.