Are You in Need of an Intellectual Property Lawyer?
Intellectual property is anything created by a person that is an invention, design, or some other form of creative expression. A Columbus intellectual property lawyer will help people and businesses protect their intellectual property creations as well as guide people to not infringe on others intellectual property.
Different Types of Intellectual Property
While the term intellectual property may seem unfamiliar, the different protections of such property will sound much more recognizable. The most common intellectual property rights protections are copyrights, trademarks and patents.
A skilled Intellectual Property attorney will review what works you need to protect, and the best method of achieving that protection. You may need to trademark your logo or business name, or you may need to copyright a literary, artistic or musical work.
Top Questions to Ask When Hiring an Attorney
- How many years have you been practicing law? How long have you practiced law in the local area?
- How many cases similar to mine have you handled in the past?
- What is the likely outcome for my case?
In legal practice, experience matters. An experienced attorney will likely have handled issues similar to yours many, many times. Therefore, after listening to your situation, the attorney should have a reasonable idea of the time line for a case like yours and the likely resolution.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It's important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice's billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
How much does it cost to hire an attorney?
In general, how much an attorney costs will often depend on these four factors: billing method and pricing structure, type of legal work performed, law firm prestige, and attorney experience. Depending on the legal issue you are facing, an attorney may bill you by the hour, settle on a flat fee, or enter into a contingency fee agreement. The type of legal work you need help with will also play a role in cost incurred.