Are You in Need of an Intellectual Property Lawyer?
Intellectual property is anything created by a person that is an invention, design, or some other form of creative expression. A Fresno intellectual property lawyer will help people and businesses protect their intellectual property creations as well as guide people to not infringe on others intellectual property.
Different Types of Intellectual Property
While the term intellectual property may seem unfamiliar, the different protections of such property will sound much more recognizable. The most common intellectual property rights protections are copyrights, trademarks and patents.
A skilled Intellectual Property attorney will review what works you need to protect, and the best method of achieving that protection. You may need to trademark your logo or business name, or you may need to copyright a literary, artistic or musical work.
When to Hire a Lawyer
It is in your best interest to get legal help early on in addressing your situation. There are times when hiring a lawyer quickly is critical to your case, such as if you are charged with a crime. It may also be in your best interest to have a lawyer review the fine print before signing legal documents. A lawyer can also help you get the compensation you deserve if you've suffered a serious injury. For issues where money or property is at stake, having a lawyer guide you through the complexities of the legal system can save you time, hassle, and possibly a lot of grief in the long run.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney's experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.