Are You in Need of an Intellectual Property Lawyer?
Intellectual property is anything created by a person that is an invention, design, or some other form of creative expression. a Dewey intellectual property lawyer will help people and businesses protect their intellectual property creations as well as guide people to not infringe on others intellectual property.
Different Types of Intellectual Property
While the term intellectual property may seem unfamiliar, the different protections of such property will sound much more recognizable. The most common intellectual property rights protections are copyrights, trademarks and patents.
A skilled Intellectual Property attorney will review what works you need to protect, and the best method of achieving that protection. You may need to trademark your logo or business name, or you may need to copyright a literary, artistic or musical work.
Best Time to Seek Legal Help
No matter what your legal issue may be, it is always best to seek legal help early in the process. An attorney can help secure what is likely to be the best possible outcome for your situation and avoid both unnecessary complications or errors.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It’s important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice’s billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.
Common legal terms explained
Plaintiff – a person or party who brings a lawsuit against another person(s) or party/parties in a court of law. Private persons or parties can only file suit in civil court.
Judgment – A decision of the court. Also known as a decree or order. Judgments handed down by the court are usually binding on the parties before the court.