Do You Have an Immigration Issue?
Immigration is a broad area of law encompassing all issues regarding the legal entry and legal status of people in the United States other than US Citizens. An experienced Laredo Immigration attorney can help you maneuver through the complex laws so you can learn what your options are.
Different Types of Immigration Cases
Whether you are looking to visit the United States temporarily, work here or establish permanent residency, you need to follow strict immigration laws. An Immigration law firm will have the knowledge of the law you will need to have a successful case.
If you are already a permanent resident you may still need an immigration lawyer should you want to become a United States Citizen. As this is the last phase of Immigration law, you do not want to risk making any mistakes. Addittionally, an Immigration Attorney or law firm can help defend those who are facing deportation or removal from the United States.
What happens if you fail an immigration interview?For any immigration interview, such as for citizenship, a green card, or a visa, “failing” an interview” usually means that you will get another chance. However, if you fail again, the government will likely cancel your application. If you fail an interview, you should consider talking with an immigration attorney to better prepare and go over your options.
How much does an immigration lawyer cost?If you are looking for an immigration lawyer and you are worried about costs, you should discuss at the outset about what fees you can expect and whether there are options for installment payments. Many legal aid organizations provide immigration assistance for lower costs.
What happens to your immigration if you’re arrested?If you are not a naturalized U.S. citizen, an arrest could jeopardize your green card or visa, putting you at risk of deportation. If you are arrested, it is important to speak with a criminal defense attorney who understands what will happen to your immigration status if you simply plead guilty. Accepting a plea deal could mean deportation.
How long does it take to get a green card?Because of yearly caps, processing times, and the number of applicants, many people wait years – sometimes more than 10 – to receive a green card. You should be prepared to be patient. You should also consider having an experienced immigration attorney review your application to ensure there are no errors that could cause you any unnecessary delays.
How an Attorney Can Help
An attorney can often resolve your particular legal issue faster and better than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. You should seek out an attorney whose practice focuses on the area of law most relevant to your issue.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney’s experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.
Common legal terms explained
Personal jurisdiction – Requirement that a particular court have authority over a person, in order to bind that person to the judgment of the court, based on minimum contacts. International Shoe Co v. Washington is a landmark Supreme Court case outlining the scope of a state court’s reach in personal jurisdiction.