Top Gardnerville, NV Family Law Lawyers Near You
Family Law Lawyers | Minden Office | Serving Gardnerville, NV
PO Box 1510, Minden, NV 89423
Gardnerville Family Law Information
Lead Counsel independently verifies Family Law attorneys in Gardnerville and checks their standing with Nevada bar associations.Our Verification Process and Criteria
- Ample Experience Attorneys must meet stringent qualifications and prove they practice in the area of law they’re verified in.
- Good Standing Be in good standing with their bar associations and maintain a clean disciplinary record.
- Annual Review Submit to an annual review to retain their Lead Counsel Verified status.
- Client Commitment Pledge to follow the highest quality client service and ethical standards.
What Are Family Law Issues?There are many legal matters that are handled in family courts, such as child custody, child support, divorce, domestic violence, legal separation, marital agreements, domestic partnerships, alimony or spousal support, and adoption. Family law issues can be more complicated than other legal issues because the people may have to continue communicating or living with each other after the dispute is settled.
How Long Do I Have To Wait To Get a Divorce?Different states have different waiting periods for divorce cases. The divorcing couple may have to be living separately for enough time before the court will enter an order of dissolution of marriage. Other states have no waiting period and either spouse can seek a divorce. There are other requirements for a divorce, including residency requirements. Talk to a divorce attorney for legal advice about how to get a divorce.
Will I Get Shared Custody?Custody matters can include legal custody and physical custody. Legal custody involves making legal decisions for the child and how the child is raised. This includes decisions about the child’s education, health care, and religion. Physical custody is where the child lives. In many Nevada divorces, one parent will get physical custody and the other will have visitation rights.
How Much Will Child Support Cost in Nevada?Child support is generally determined by Nevada child support guidelines. The amount of support and which parent pays support can be based on parenting time, parent’s income, additional support obligations, and the needs of the child.
Can a Lawyer Help With an Adoption?An adoption attorney can help a family through the adoption process. For private adoptions or international adoptions, an adoption lawyer can help the prospective parents understand the process, the costs involved, options, and help avoid problems that may come up during adoption.
Should I Sign a Prenuptial Agreement?Prenuptial agreements can be a very sensitive topic in marriage. Many couples do not like to discuss financial matters, which can later cause problems in the relationship. In some cases, a prenuptial agreement can help both spouses understand how their individual property will be treated if they separate. However, you should consult a family law attorney individually before signing a prenuptial agreement.
What Is Contempt of Court in Family Law Cases?In family court, a judge can hold you in contempt of court if you fail to comply with any court orders. This could include refusing to follow your custody plan, failing to pay child support, or contacting a former spouse against court orders. If a family law judge finds you in contempt of court, it could mean fines, jail time, or even garnishing your wages to pay back child support.
How Does Family Court Resolve Disputes?Family disputes can get complicated. In many cases, the best person to resolve a family dispute is the family members themselves, with the help of a mediator. Many family court issues are referred to a mediator, including child custody disputes. A mediator can help the people involved come up with their own plan. If the family cannot resolve their dispute, it may be left to the court to decide the legal issues.
How Can a Gardnerville Family Law Attorney Help?An attorney can often resolve your individual legal issue more quickly and efficiently than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. When talking to a lawyer, you should seek out an attorney in a practice area most relevant to your issue and in your area.
What does family law mean?Family law covers a broad spectrum of legal matters that have to do with families, and not all of them mean something terrible has happened. The term family law can refer to adoptions, divorce, child custody, paternity, child support, guardianships, prenuptial agreements, property division, and many other issues.
What does contempt of court mean in family law cases?In family court, a judge can hold you in contempt of court if you fail to comply with any court orders. This could include refusing to follow your custody plan, failing to pay child support, or disparaging your ex when a judge orders you not to. Being in contempt of court could mean spending time behind bars or other penalties, such as garnishing your wages to pay back child support.
How do courts resolve family law disputes?Courts generally like to resolve family law disputes by helping people like you and your ex find an amicable compromise. This allows people to continue to work together in the future, such as when it comes to making parenting decisions. If necessary, a judge may order you and your ex to meet with a mediator to find a solution. If you cannot agree, the judge may schedule a hearing to decide the matter, at which point you will have to comply with whatever the ruling is.
Top Questions to Ask When Hiring an Attorney
- How many years have you been practicing law? How long have you practiced law in the local area?
- How many cases similar to mine have you handled in the past?
- What is the likely outcome for my case?
In legal practice, experience matters. An experienced attorney will likely have handled issues similar to yours many, many times. Therefore, after listening to your situation, the attorney should have a reasonable idea of the time line for a case like yours and the likely resolution.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It’s important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice’s billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.
Common legal terms explained
Personal jurisdiction – Requirement that a particular court have authority over a person, in order to bind that person to the judgment of the court, based on minimum contacts. International Shoe Co v. Washington is a landmark Supreme Court case outlining the scope of a state court’s reach in personal jurisdiction.