How to Deal with Debt Collection
Most businesses follow a general process for collecting debts, from friendly overdue reminders, to formal demand letters. Many businesses then turn the debt over to a debt collection agency that may resort to threats, misrepresentation, harassment, and legal action.
Your Debt Collection Protections
Delinquent debtors, however, are protected from harassing, oppressive, and abusive collection methods by the Federal Trade Commission's Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If the debt collector persists, acquiring the services of A Wasilla attorney practicing in debt collection defense can end the harassment and possibly file a lawsuit against the collection agency on your behalf.
How an Attorney Can Help
An attorney can often resolve your particular legal issue faster and better than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. You should seek out an attorney whose practice focuses on the area of law most relevant to your issue.
Tips on Approaching an Initial Attorney Consultation
- Use the consultation as a means of gaining a better understanding of your legal situation.
- Ask the attorney how many cases similar to yours he/she has handled. An attorney's experience and knowledge can speak to their expertise (or lack of) in addressing your situation.
- Your attorney should be able to articulate roughly how long a case like yours will take to resolve and what sort of procedures to expect.
- Determine how comfortable you are working with the lawyer and/or law firm.
How to Find the Right Attorney
- Determine the area of law that relates to your issue. Attorneys specialize in specific practice areas around legal issues within the broad field of law.
- Seek out recommendations from friends, family, and colleagues. A successful attorney or practice will typically have many satisfied clients.
- Set up consultation appointments to get a better understanding of your case as well as gauge your comfort level with different attorneys. Find the attorney who is the right fit for your needs.