Top Selma, TX Guardianship & Conservatorship Lawyers Near You

Lead Counsel Badge  = Lead Counsel Verified Attorneys

Selma Guardianship & Conservatorship Information

Lead Counsel Badge

Lead Counsel Verified Attorneys In Selma

Lead Counsel independently verifies Guardianship & Conservatorship attorneys in Selma by conferring with Texas bar associations and conducting annual reviews to confirm that an attorney practices in their advertised practice areas and possesses a valid bar license for the appropriate jurisdictions.

Find a Selma Guardianship & Conservatorship Attorney in your area

Have You Been Appointed as a Guardian or Conservator?

If so, you may have questions on how you can safeguard the best interests of the person you will be helping in matters of health and finance. Consult with a Selma guardianship and conservatorship attorney who can answer all your questions regarding being a guardian or conservator for your loved one.

Legal Concept of Guardianship and Conservatorship

A guardian is a family member, close friend, or other responsible adult who the court appoints to take care of a minor child (the ward) or incompetent adult and manage hat person’s affairs. A conservator also can be a family member, close friend, or other responsible adult who is appointed by a judge to manage the financial affairs and daily life of a person (the conservatee) who is unable to care for him or herself because of illness, old age, or other infirmity.

How Can You Get a Guardianship or Conservatorship in Texas?

Any person who requires guardianship or conservatorship can make a request. If this is the case, you’ll need a lawyer for the legal proceedings, especially if the guardianship or conservatorship is contested.

Attorneys specializing in elder law, guardianship, or estate planning can help if you need to file or defend yourself against a guardianship or conservatorship. In cases where a conservatorship is contested by one side or the other, options such as a revocable trust (or living trust, where provisions remain alterable by the granter of the trust) may also be considered. Regardless, you’ll need to be sure to file all necessary paperwork. The LawInfo directory can help you find Guardianship lawyers near you in Selma.

Getting a guardianship is also fairly simple if all parties agree. You’ll usually need a letter of consent from both parents and a filing fee. Interviews will likely occur between all parties, including the child, adult, or senior becoming a ward, their parents or next of kin, and the potential guardian or guardians. You might also need a criminal background check and a home inspection before the court agrees to grant guardianship. 

How Can You Cancel a Guardianship or Conservatorship?

Terminating a guardianship can be a lengthy and involved process. First, you’ll need to file the appropriate paperwork with the court, including a petition to terminate the guardianship and either a citation or notice of hearing. The citation is typically used if the subject of the guardianship is living, and the notice if the subject is deceased. You’ll also need to gather relevant documents, such as doctor’s notes, state-level guardianship documents, and in some cases, a final accounting.

Legal documents are served to the subject of the guardianship, their new guardian(s), the subject’s relevant relatives, and the subject’s attorney. These documents should be sent via certified mail with a return receipt. A court hearing will typically follow.

In a conservatorship, a conservatee can petition the court to terminate the arrangement if they can prove that they are of sound mind or their existing conservator is acting against their best interests. You can also cancel a conservatorship by natural courses such as the death of the conservatee, discharge of their estate, or by the conservator relinquishing their position.

What Kind of Lawyer Handles Guardianships and Conservatorships?

Lawyers who practice family law often handle guardianships, especially if they are temporary guardianships. On the other hand, lawyers specializing in estate planning usually manage conservatorships. Given that most conservatorships include fiduciary duties and other financial considerations, it makes sense to retain the services of an experienced estate planning lawyer for conservatorships.

What Is the Difference Between Guardianship and Conservatorship?

In some states and under specific contexts, guardianship and conservatorship can be used interchangeably, but there are differences.

A guardian more commonly refers to someone who is appointed to care for a child or minor. Conservators typically tend to the affairs of an elderly or an individual who a court has determined is mentally incapacitated. Also, in a guardianship, the guardian is generally responsible for making health care and overall wellness decisions for their wards. The appointed conservator makes more financial decisions in a conservatorship, often regarding an estate or other assets.

When to Hire a Lawyer

It is in your best interest to get legal help early on in addressing your situation. There are times when hiring a lawyer quickly is critical to your case, such as if you are charged with a crime. It may also be in your best interest to have a lawyer review the fine print before signing legal documents. A lawyer can also help you get the compensation you deserve if you’ve suffered a serious injury. For issues where money or property is at stake, having a lawyer guide you through the complexities of the legal system can save you time, hassle, and possibly a lot of grief in the long run.

What to Expect from an Initial Consultation

  • Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
  • It’s important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
  • Discuss how the practice’s billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.

An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.

Tips on Hiring an Experienced Lawyer with Guardianship & Conservatorship Cases

The more experienced a lawyer is in legal practice, the more likely he/she will be able to bring about a successful resolution to your issue. Since experience matters, lawyers who’ve been practicing law for many years (with a successful track record) tend to be in high demand. You should look for information about a lawyer’s experience and ask questions during the initial meeting. It’s a very good idea to ask the lawyer how many years he/she has been practicing law and the expected outcome of your case.

Common legal terms explained

Plaintiff – a person or party who brings a lawsuit against another person(s) or party/parties in a court of law. Private persons or parties can only file suit in civil court.

Judgment – A decision of the court. Also known as a decree or order. Judgments handed down by the court are usually binding on the parties before the court.

Page Generated: 0.67907285690308 sec