Top Child Support Modification Lawyers Near You
Find Child Support Modification Attorneys Located in Popular Cities
Find Child Support Modification Attorneys by State
Child Support Modification
Court orders for child support can be in effect for many years, in most instances not terminating until the child reaches 18. When circumstances in the lives of the parents and child change, so will the costs of raising a child and each parent’s ability to meet the child’s financial and emotional needs.
Consequently, over the course of time, parents subject to a child support order may seek to change or modify the terms of the order. Even though parents may agree to alter the terms, such informal agreements are usually ill advised and not sanctioned by the court.
If you want to modify the terms and conditions of a child support order, you must file your request with the court, specifying the change you seek, and state the change or changes in your circumstances that warrant the modification.
How a Child Support Modification Attorney Can Help
An attorney who practices and is knowledgeable about child support law can assist you in many ways. A child support modification attorney will:
- Explain how and why changes in your life, your child’s life, or the other parent’s life can trigger a need to modify child support
- Advise you on whether you should seek a change in custody along with or instead of a modification in support
- Prepare and file court documents requesting the modification
- Gather and present evidence in support of your case
- Negotiate to settle the child support issue
- Appear in court with you as your representative and present your case on your behalf