Top Middletown, CT CPS Lawyers Near You

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

100 Pearl Street, Suite 1100, Hartford, CT 06103

CPS Lawyers | Windsor Office | Serving Middletown, CT

20 Maple Avenue, Windsor, CT 06095

CPS Lawyers | Glastonbury Office | Serving Middletown, CT

2252 Main Street, Glastonbury, CT 06033

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

100 Pearl Street, 10th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

185 Asylum Street, City Place II, 15th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

100 Pearl St, 11th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103

CPS Lawyers | West Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

924 Farmington Ave., 3rd Floor, West Hartford, CT 06107

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

28 North Main St, Suite G-2, Hartford, CT 06105

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

419 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

One Constitution Plaza, 5th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103

CPS Lawyers | Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

93 Oak Street, Hartford, CT 06106

CPS Lawyers | Old Saybrook Office | Serving Middletown, CT

123 Elm St, PO Box 554, Old Saybrook, CT 06475

CPS Lawyers | West Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

PO Box 330695, West Hartford, CT 06133

CPS Lawyers | Middletown Office

98 Washington St, Suite 201, Middletown, CT 06457

CPS Lawyers | Portland Office | Serving Middletown, CT

262 Marlborough St, Suite 101, Portland, CT 06480

CPS Lawyers | Norwich Office | Serving Middletown, CT

82 Chelsea Harbor Dr, Norwich, CT 06360

CPS Lawyers | Glastonbury Office | Serving Middletown, CT

2389 Main St, Glastonbury, CT 06033

CPS Lawyers | Niantic Office | Serving Middletown, CT

179 Flanders Road, Suite 4, Niantic, CT 06357

CPS Lawyers | New Britain Office | Serving Middletown, CT

106 Farmington Avenue, Suite 2B, New Britain, CT 06053

CPS Lawyers | Simsbury Office | Serving Middletown, CT

619 Hopmeadow Street, Suite 2, Simsbury, CT 06070

CPS Lawyers | West Hartford Office | Serving Middletown, CT

433 S Main St- Suite 226, West Hartford, CT 06110

CPS Lawyers | Middletown Office

516 Main St, Suite #7, Middletown, CT 06457

CPS Lawyers | Middletown Office

97 Broad Street, 1st Floor, Middletown, CT 06457

CPS Lawyers | Bloomfield Office | Serving Middletown, CT

3 Regency Drive, Bloomfield, CT 06002

Middletown CPS Information

Lead Counsel Badge

Lead Counsel Verified Attorneys In Middletown

Lead Counsel independently verifies CPS attorneys in Middletown and checks their standing with Connecticut bar associations.

Our Verification Process and Criteria
  • Ample Experience Attorneys must meet stringent qualifications and prove they practice in the area of law they’re verified in.
  • Good Standing Be in good standing with their bar associations and maintain a clean disciplinary record.
  • Annual Review Submit to an annual review to retain their Lead Counsel Verified status.
  • Client Commitment Pledge to follow the highest quality client service and ethical standards.

Find a CPS Attorney near Middletown

Are There Any CPS Lawyers Near Me In Middletown, CT?

The possibility of losing your children is more than many parents can bear. Getting the representation you deserve to protect your rights is never more important than when you are faced with a CPS case. You have rights under the law and an experienced CPS attorney will help you navigate the system to work toward a positive outcome for everyone. The LawInfo directory can assist you in finding a verified CPS lawyer in Middletown.

What Does CPS Look for in a Home Visit?

When a CPS worker visits a home, they’ll look for signs that indicate how safe a home is or not. For example, is it exceedingly dirty to the point it poses a health hazard? Is there adequate food? Are there open signs of illegal activity like drug paraphernalia? Are dangerous objects or weapons easily accessible to children? Do the children have appropriate necessities? They won’t expect a spotless, perfect home, just one that meets reasonable safety standards. They’ll also be gauging your and your family’s behavior and will likely want to interview some or all of you to get a better sense of your routine and the kind of home life you have.

When Can CPS Take Your Child?

CPS can usually only remove a child from their home if there’s a valid, reasonable concern for the child’s safety. An order for removal is typically granted by a judge, either after an investigation or before an investigation if they consider your situation such a severe emergency that it requires instant separation. Emergency removal cases are rare, however, so unless there is an immediate threat, an investigation will need to take place first. Cases of neglect and abuse are the most likely causes for CPS to take your children.

What Happens if You Ignore CPS?

If a CPS caseworker contacts you as part of an investigation against you, you have some options for how to respond. Unless the caseworker has a warrant signed by a judge, you don’t have to let them into your home. You can also refuse to answer questions, and if your kids are home with you, you could prevent the caseworker from interviewing them at that time. However, your case will remain open and the investigation will continue. They may be able to come back with a search warrant to enter your home, get a court order to interview your children, or may even be allowed to interview your kids while they’re at school, even without your permission.

What if I Have a Complaint About CPS?

CPS exists to take care of children and families, but the process doesn’t always go perfectly each time. If you have a complaint about a CPS employee, you can try to talk to them directly and then escalate your concern to their manager if the employee is not willing to work things out with you. There are several levels of supervision within the CPS system, and you can escalate complaints all the way up to the state director. Some jurisdictions will even have a dedicated ombudsman who will investigate administrative complaints. If your concern applies more to systematic or policy issues within CPS, you may have related community organizations in your area you can contact, or you can reach out to your state representatives.

What is a Dependency Case?

Minor children are considered legally dependent on adult caretakers. When a child is left without a guardian who can take care of them, Child Protective Services may intervene and petition the courts to step in to support the child as a dependency case. Children may end up as dependents of the court if there’s evidence that they’re being abused by their parent or guardian, if their caretaker is neglecting or has abandoned them, or if the guardian becomes incarcerated, is struggling with substance abuse, or is otherwise unable to take care of the child. In most cases, the courts will try to assign programs to help the parents or guardians gain resources and education to better care for their children for family reunification. When that’s not possible, the children will usually wind up living with another relative or in foster care.

How an Attorney Can Help

An attorney can often resolve your particular legal issue faster and better than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. You should seek out an attorney whose practice focuses on the area of law most relevant to your issue.

How to Prepare for Your Initial Consultation

Prepare for your consultation by writing down notes of your understanding of the case, jot down questions and concerns for the attorney, and gather your documents. Remember that you are trying to get a sense of whether the attorney has your trust and can help you address your legal issues. Questions should include how the attorney intends to resolve your issue, how many years he/she has been practicing law and specifically practicing in your area, as well as how many cases similar to yours the attorney has handled. It can also be helpful to broach the subject of fees so that you understand the likely cost and structure of your representation by a specific attorney and/or legal team.

How will an attorney charge me?

A reputable attorney will be very upfront about how he/she will charge you. The three most common fee structures that attorneys use to charge for their services are:

  • Bill by the hour
  • Contingent fee agreement
  • Flat fee agreement

Depending on your specific legal situation, it’s possible that only one type of fee structure is available. For instance, criminal defense attorneys almost always bill by the hour. In a flat fee arrangement, an attorney accepts a one-time payment to help you resolve your issue. With a contingent fee agreement, the client pays little to nothing upfront and the attorney receives a percentage of the money recovered if you win your case.

Common legal terms explained

Affidavit – A sworn written statement made under oath. An affidavit is meant to be a supporting document to the court assisting in the verification of certain facts. An affidavit may or may not require notarization.

Page Generated: 0.19161510467529 sec