Top Thomasville, AL Alimony Lawyers Near You
Alimony Lawyers | Grove Hill Office | Serving Thomasville, AL
116 Court Street, PO Box 729, Grove Hill, AL 36451
Thomasville Alimony Information
Lead Counsel independently verifies Alimony attorneys in Thomasville and checks their standing with Alabama bar associations.Our Verification Process and Criteria
- Ample Experience Attorneys must meet stringent qualifications and prove they practice in the area of law they’re verified in.
- Good Standing Be in good standing with their bar associations and maintain a clean disciplinary record.
- Annual Review Submit to an annual review to retain their Lead Counsel Verified status.
- Client Commitment Pledge to follow the highest quality client service and ethical standards.
Alimony, termed spousal support in some states, is awarded if one divorcing spouse earns significantly more than the other. The court also looks at the standard of living during the marriage and the future earning capacity of the spouse receiving alimony.
Do You Need an Alimony Lawyer?
Divorce is an emotional time, so it is in your best interest to use the services of a Thomasville family law lawyer to handle the alimony issue. The lawyer handling the divorce may be able to negotiate a realistic resolution to whether alimony will be paid or received.
How an Attorney Can Help
An attorney can often resolve your particular legal issue faster and better than trying to do it alone. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal system, while avoiding costly mistakes or procedural errors. You should seek out an attorney whose practice focuses on the area of law most relevant to your issue.
What to Expect from an Initial Consultation
- Seek to determine whether the attorney can represent you. There is no one-size-fits-all legal solution and it may turn out your needs are better served by an attorney in a different specialization.
- It’s important to find a legal ally who is both competent in the law and someone you can trust to protect your interests.
- Discuss how the practice’s billing works and discuss possible additional charges or fees that may arise during or after the resolution of your case.
An attorney consultation should provide you with enough information so that you can make an informed decision on whether to proceed with legal help.
Tips on Hiring an Experienced Lawyer with Alimony Cases
The more experienced a lawyer is in legal practice, the more likely he/she will be able to bring about a successful resolution to your issue. Since experience matters, lawyers who’ve been practicing law for many years (with a successful track record) tend to be in high demand. You should look for information about a lawyer’s experience and ask questions during the initial meeting. It’s a very good idea to ask the lawyer how many years he/she has been practicing law and the expected outcome of your case.
Common legal terms explained
Personal jurisdiction – Requirement that a particular court have authority over a person, in order to bind that person to the judgment of the court, based on minimum contacts. International Shoe Co v. Washington is a landmark Supreme Court case outlining the scope of a state court’s reach in personal jurisdiction.