Lawyers are ready to help during these stressful times. Schedule your consultation >

How To Dispute An Incorrect Background Check

Full Video Transcript

Employers often use consumer reports from third party agencies as part of a background check for employment. If negative information is revealed, it could form the basis for denial of a job, or even for being fired, you have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information in the report. To do so, send a letter to the reporting company, identifying the specific items you think are inaccurate. Provide a clear explanation of why you dispute the information and request that it be removed or corrected. Provide copies (NOT originals) of documents that support your position. Sending the letter by certified mail, return receipt requested, will help you prove that the consumer reporting company received your letter. Keep a copy for your own records as well. Consumer reporting companies must investigate the items in question — usually within 30 days — unless they consider your dispute frivolous. If the information is found to be inaccurate, the consumer reporting agency must notify all three nationwide consumer reporting companies so they can correct the information in your file.

Additional Background Checks Videos

Search LawInfo's Background Checks Resources