Skip to main content


Full Video Transcript

In a criminal trial, the defendant has a right to appeal if he or she loses at the trial level. The defendant must generally file a written notice of appeal within 30 days of the judge or jury’s decision. However, this deadline may vary from state to state. The written notice of appeal should be filed with the clerk of the appellate court where the conviction was entered. The defendant then has the opportunity to submit a written brief to the court arguing the reasons upon which he or she believes the original case was incorrectly decided and is entitled to be reversed under the law. The prosecution has the opportunity to respond to the appeal. The parties may also be permitted to orally argue the appeal to the appellate judge. The court may affirm the original conviction, reverse it, or order a new trial altogether. For information on appeals, contact a qualified attorney

Was this helpful?

Additional Appeals Videos