Skip to main content

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

Full Video Transcript

If you believe a debt collector has violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you can report it to the state attorney general’s office or the Federal Trade Commission. Either office can help you determine if the debt collector has acted illegally or violated your rights. If so, then you can file an official complaint against the debt collector. You can also sue the debt collector in court either on your own or even perhaps as part of a class action with other victims that the creditors harassed. Remember, debt collections can be very stressful even when creditors follow laws, but if you believe the collector has crossed the line or feel that your rights have been violated, contact an attorney to discuss your situation. These laws were put in place to stop illegal creditor harassment and to protect borrowers from unfair practices. For more information, contact an attorney in your area today.

Was this helpful?

Additional Creditor Harassment Videos