If I Am Injured On The Job Can I Choose The Doctor Who Treats Me?

The employee may select any physician, psychologist, chiropractor or podiatrist that is licensed to practice in Wisconsin. If the employee is not satisfied with the first doctor, one more choice is allowed; however, while the worker must notify the employer of this second choice, the employer may not object. If the attending doctor refers the employee to a specialist or a series of specialists, this referral is still considered to be treatment by one doctor. If several doctors in one partnership or clinic are seen, these are all considered one doctor. After changing doctors once, any further change may be made only by mutual agreement between the employee, employer and insurance carrier. Failure to notify the employer of the initial selection or of a change of doctors can lead to a disputed claim and the possibility of the injured employee having to pay for the entire cost of treatment. No compensation is payable for the death or disability of an employee if the death was caused by, or the disability aggravated by, an unreasonable refusal or neglect to submit to or follow reasonable medical or surgical treatment.

Speak to an Experienced Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers’ compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers’ compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Workers' Compensation attorney today.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources


The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.