Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

My Employer Has Denied My Claim, What Do I Do?

If you disagree with their determination, you have a right to file a claim with the Division of Workers` Compensation. This can be done by either filing an application for an informal hearing or by filing a formal claim petition. A claim for workers` compensation must be filed within two years of the date of accident, within two years of the failure of the employee to receive payment in accordance with an agreement between the employer and the employee, or within two years of the last payment of compensation. This time limit is jurisdictional and cannot be extended by reason of excuse or ignorance. Medical treatment may be construed as the payment of compensation to extend the time period, but the treatment must not be isolated and must, in fact, be authorized. Payment of collateral benefits under an automobile policy would not extend the time to file the claim. For assistance in doing this, contact the NJ Department of Labor, Division of Workers` Compensation at the address or number listed below.

NJ Department of Labor, Division of Workers` Compensation
P.O. Box 381
Trenton, New Jersey 08625­0381
(609) 292­2515

Speak to an Experienced Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers’ compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Workers' Compensation attorney today.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles

Search LawInfo's Workers' Compensation Resources