If I Am Injured On The Job Can I Choose The Doctor Who Treats Me?

You may select any physician or surgeon who is practicing on the island where the injury occurred. If the services of a specialist are needed, you may select any specialist or surgeon practicing in the state. The director of the Department of Labor may authorize the selection of a specialist practicing outside the State when no comparable medical care within the state is available. Upon selecting a physician or surgeon, you shall give notice of his selection to the employer within a reasonable time after the beginning of the treatment.

At any time and with reasonable notice you may be asked to attend a medical evaluation by your employer, the insurance carrier or by the Department of Labor. Any failure to attend an exam may result in a suspension or termination of your benefits.

Speak to an Experienced Workers’ Compensation Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified workers’ compensation lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local workers’ compensation attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Workers' Compensation attorney today.

Additional Workers' Compensation Articles