Lawyers are ready to help during these stressful times. Schedule your consultation >

Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

I Was Injured In An Accident. What Can I Do Now?

You can make a claim against another person or business and their insurance company if someone else is more at fault for your injury than you are. Wisconsin is a comparative fault state. That means that the injured person can only recover if his or her negligence is not greater than the negligence of the person against whom the claim is made. If you were partially at fault, your damages may be reduced proportionately. Whether or not you are entitled to compensation may depend on the type of accident that caused the injury.

For example, workplace injuries generally are covered by worker's compensation benefits, which compensate for medical expenses, lost wages, and impairments, without regard to fault by anyone. A claim can be made if the accident was caused by someone other than the employer or a co­worker.

If you were injured in an automobile accident, the party most at fault would be determined by whether a driver violated any traffic laws and/or which driver's lack of care contributed most to the accident. Proof of fault is often contested and requires thorough investigation.

If you were injured at someone else's home or at a commercial establishment, the person responsible for the premises may be found liable. You will need to prove that the injury was caused by an unsafe condition that the owner should have known of and corrected before the accident. In a typical slip and fall accident, the injured person must show that the person responsible for the premises was negligent in the design, construction or maintenance of the property. Claims for injuries caused by an unsafe condition on public property are subject to strict claims requirements and liability is only established in certain circumstances.

Injuries can occur in many other situations as well as those outlined above. Once again, you may have a claim if someone else was more at fault for your injury than you are.

Speak with a Personal Injury Attorney

Injuries cost money, including time away from work, medical bills and other complications. You should have an attorney help you with your claim. Not sure if you have a good injury case? Speak to a local personal injury attorney about the merits of your case. This one step can help you protect your rights and take the proper next steps.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Personal Injury attorney today.

Additional Personal Injury Articles

Search LawInfo's Personal Injury Resources