Skip to main content

Landlord/Tenant Law

Search for an Attorney  

If The Landlord Won't Make Repairs And I Can't Move, What Should I Do?

If you want to stay and purchase substitute heat, water or other essential services, you can give your landlord written notice you will purchase them the best you can elsewhere and deduct the cost from rent if she does not provide them in a reasonable time. You cannot make repairs yourself and deduct that cost from your rent. You can also take your landlord to court and ask a judge to order your landlord to make the necessary repairs. The people at the magistrate`s office should help fill out the papers needed to get this done. You can also consult with a lawyer about doing this for you.

Was this helpful?