What Is The Prelicensing Education Requirement In The State Of Washington?

Applicants for a resident license as a life, disability, property or casualty insurance agent or solicitor must meet prelicense education requirements to be allowed access to the exam.

Candidates must complete approved courses consisting of at least 16 hours of instruction for each line of insurance (life, disability, property, casualty) for which an examination is being taken and an approved course consisting of at least 4 hours of instruction relating to Washington’s rules and regulations.

Candidates who plan to take an examination for more than one major line of insurance need NOT repeat the 4 hours of instruction on rules and regulations.A waiver of the general prelicense education is permitted for those lines in which a candidate holds a valid license in another state, if the candidate has been licensed continuously for a minimum of two years, and within the last 90 days. A candidate may apply for a waiver by sending a letter, affirming that his/her license status conforms to the requirements, and forwarding copies of previous licenses, or other written proof from the Insurance Department of the candidate’s home state to the Insurance Education Section of this office. A statement that the candidate understands that a four hour course on Washington’s rules and regulations must still be completed, should be in the waiver request.

Speak to an Experienced Insurance Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified insurance lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Insurance attorney today.

Additional Insurance Articles

Search LawInfo's Insurance Resources


The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.