Skip to main content

Insurance Law

Search for an Attorney  

What Are The General Requirements For Licensure In The State Of South Dakota?

In order to qualify as a South Dakota resident insurance Producer, you must satisfy the following basic requirements: pass the license examination(s) required by statute; meet the minimum age requirement of 21 years of age for a Bail Bonds license or 18 years of age for all other licenses. Submit the completed Application for Individual Resident Producer License; remit a $25 application fee (only with the first application); submit an original letter of clearance from your last resident state in which you have held a resident license within the past three years; must show date of cancellation. Persons wishing to be licensed for Variable Life or Variable Annuities must meet all requirements above for a Life license and also: be registered with the South Dakota Division of Securities; have passed a Series 6, 7, 63 or 66 exam; and submit an approved application form, available from insurance companies or apply online at Licensed resident or nonresident Producers of South Dakota are eligible to be licensed as Surplus Lines brokers, upon receipt of: a completed Application Form; a $2,000 bond; and a $50 license fee. Applicants should contact the Division of Insurance for the application, bond form and statement of regulations or obtain an application online at South Dakota residents, at least 21 years of age, are eligible to be licensed for a Bail Bonds license. The Division requires: passing the Bail Bonds examination; a completed Bail Bonds application and $30 fee; a $10 appointment fee; fingerprints certified by an authorized Law Enforcement Officer; a credential­size recent photograph (full face); a completed Bail Bond license application; an Authorization and Release form; and a $15 check or money order payable to the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation. Persons who want to sell Crop Insurance or Multi­Peril Crop Insurance must hold a Crop License and pass the South Dakota Producer’s Examination for Crop Insurance, Series 10­50. Anyone holding a Crop Insurance License is authorized to sell Multi­Peril Crop Insurance. Holding a Property and/or Casualty license does not authorize anyone to sell crop insurance.