Skip to main content

Insurance Law

Search for an Attorney  

Additional Licensing Information

  • Consultants
    Consultants may not continue to hold an insurance agent, surplus lines agent or limited insurance representative license, once licensed as a consultant. No licensed consultant may employ, be employed by, be in partnership with or receive any remuneration whatsoever from any licensed insurance agent, surplus lines insurance agent, limited insurance representative or insurer, except that a consultant may be compensated by an insurer for providing consulting services to the insurer. No consultant license is required for the following:

    1. attorneys licensed to practice law in Indiana acting in their professional capacity;
    2. a duly licensed insurance agent or surplus lines insurance agent;
    3. a trust officer of a bank acting in the normal course of his/her employment; or
    4. an actuary of a certified public accountant who provides information, recommendations, advice or services in her/his professional capacity.

    Prior to rendering any service, a consultant must submit for the Commissioner’s approval the written agreement intended for use.

  • Limited Insurance Representatives
    Limited insurance representatives may only be licensed as limited travel accident, travel baggage agents, prearranged funeral insurance agents, crop hail insurance agents or similar limited representatives, as determined by the Commissioner.
  • Surplus Lines Insurance Agent requirements
    Any applicant for a surplus lines insurance agent license must file with the Department, and keep in effect, a bond in the penal sum of not less than $20,000, before a license may be issued. Contact the Department for the required bond form. Surplus Lines Tax Bond form and Surplus Lines Application.
  • Bail Bond or Recovery Agent requirements
    Applicants for bail or recovery agent licenses must apply directly to the Department prior to taking an examination. The Department will review the application and determine if the applicant is eligible to take the exam. The Department will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to the approved applicant. This Certificate of Eligibility is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance. The original Certificate of Eligibility must be presented at the testing center on the examination date. Contact the Department for further information regarding bail or recovery agent application procedures.
  • The Examination Process
    The Department has contracted with Experior Assessments™, LLC (Experior) of St. Paul, Minn., to conduct its examination program. Experior provides computerized examinations through a multi­state network of testing centers. The Indiana Experior testing centers are located in Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis and Merrillville. Note that the Cincinnati, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky., testing centers may be more convenient to your location. You may test at any of the Experior testing centers nationwide. Experior works closely with the Department and its Examination Review Committee to assure you that examinations meet local requirements and professional test development standards. All questions and requests for information about exams should be directed to:

    1360 Energy Park Drive
    St. Paul, MN 55108­5252
    Voice: 1­800­324­4720
    Fax: 1­800­347­9242
    TDD: 1­800­790­3926

Was this helpful?