Skip to main content

Immigration & Naturalization Law

Search for an Attorney  

What if I would like to live and work in the U.S. and I have family already living there?

Only U.S. citizens or permanent resident relatives may sponsor the noncitizen for permanent residence. Only the following family-based groups are eligible to file for their noncitizen relative:

  • Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (parents and spouses and sons/daughters over 21 years of age);
  • Spouses and unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents;
  • U.S. citizen brothers and sisters can file for their siblings.