Lawyers are ready to help during these stressful times. Schedule your consultation >

Resource Library

Free Online Legal Resources

I was issued a temporary visa to enter the United States legally, can I stay in the United States as a permanent resident?

Certain visas have a specified duration of time to stay in the United States. As a permanent resident, you are authorized to live and work in the U.S. and will renew your green card every ten years. As a visa holder, depending on the visa you hold, extensions of your status have to be filed more frequently. Moreover, there are certain visas that may not be renewed or extended yearly or indefinitely, and thus have a maximum allowable time. Once the authorized time has reached it maximum, that visa may no longer be extended and thus the foreign national will have to return to their home country.

Speak to an Experienced Immigration Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified immigration lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Immigration attorney today.

Additional Immigration Articles

Search LawInfo's Immigration Resources

Related Topics In This Section