What If I Don't Know If My Kids Are Receiving Public Assistance? Should I Still Pay Support?

ORS/CSS will notify you when the custodial parent begins receiving state assistance. Remember, once you find out on your own or are notified by ORS/CSS that the custodial parent is receiving state assistance, do not pay the custodial parent child support directly. All child support payments must be paid to ORS/CSS so your case can be properly credited. If you have paid the custodial parent child support directly, you must provide ORS/CSS with proof of those payments (canceled checks, receipts, etc.) in order to receive credit. Also, you will not receive credit for other money you may have given the custodial parent or the children directly, or for things you have bought the children or the custodial parent in lieu of child support. For example, you will not receive credit for paying the rent (or for buying clothes, diapers, etc.) for the custodial parent instead of paying court ordered child support. These are considered gifts, not child support.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified family lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles